The retina is the innermost sensitive layer of the eye which is responsible for acquiring images and transferring these images through the optic nerve out of the eye.
There are certain conditions where this retina layer can get detached from its outer side and in such a situation, the patient can have a sudden drop in vision. Normally this kind of drop-in Vision is painless and it could be associated with floaters and flashes or there could be a peripheral vision that is reduced in the form of a curtain-like shadow.
The most common cause of retinal detachment is a tear in the retina and such a detachment is called Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. After the stair forms, the fluid from within the vitreous jelly goes out of the retinal tear of the hole and then detaches from the complete retina.
This could be because of a common condition which is posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). If posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) is diagnosed early a simple laser is enough to treat such a patient. If the retina gets detached it could require a complete Victratomy. Patients who have high myopia or posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) because of age or have traction over the retina can develop tears on the retina and retinal detachment.
The other type of retinal detachment is Tractional retinal detachment which is seen in diabetic patients were in the vitreous contracts and causes the pull over the retina of this can happen in vascular diseases such as diabetic retinopathy or Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion and central retinal vein Occlusion.
The third type of retinal detachment is an executive retinal attachment which normally requires just a medical line of treatment to treat the cause of the executive detachment in case there are tumours they could require specific treatment for the tumours.
Vitrectomy is a surgery done within the eyes for either vitreous conditions or retinal conditions. That could be bleeding within the eye which actually is bleeding within the vitreous humor of the eye Enter to remove it we would perform a vitrectomy.
Also in cases when the retina is detached or there is diabetic retinopathy or there is any pool attraction on the retina and especially so on the macula or else there is a membrane on the retina all these conditions required Vitrectomy.
Now this Vitrectomy is advanced with the advanced products we are able to treat with stitcher-less techniques. We have 23 gauges 25 gauges and now also 27 gauges for Vitrectomy.
About Dr. Shahnawaz Kazi
- Scleral buckling: 2-3 per month.
- Vitrectomy 23/20 guage including diabetic TRD ,vitreous hemorrhage, ERM, macular hole with gas/silicone oil, Done with BIOM/ Volk inverter with wide angle contact lens including
- endolaser : 15 per month.
Nucleus drop and other complicated anterior segment surgeries subluxated lenses including sclera fixation of IOL, sutureless
- glued IOL: 4 per month.
- Trauma cases including corneal wound repair, hyphema drainage as per emergency about 1-2 per month.
- Endophthalmitis vitrectomy: 1 per month as per case requirement.
- Medical retina ( diabetic/tears/ROP) green/Diode lasers for the same: 30-40 per month.
- Bachelor of Medicine And Bachelor Of Surgery (MBBS):
- 1st MBBS: Passed with 1st Class in 1st Attempt.
- 2nd MBBS: Passed with 1st Class in 1st Attempt.
- 3rd MBBS: Passed with 1st Class in 1st Attempt.
- Internship: Passed 1year from Jan, 1998 to Jan, 1999.
- Diploma In Ophthalmic Medicine And Surgery (DOMS):
- College Of Physician And Surgeons Of Mumbai: Passed with 1st Class in 1st Attempt, April 2001.
- Diploma In Ophthalmology (DO, University Of Mumbai):
- Passed with 1st Class in 1stAttempt, Feb 2002.
- International Council Of Ophthalmology (ICO):
- Basic Sciences And Optics & Refraction: Passed with 1st Class in 1st Attempt, May 2002.
- Clinical Sciences Assessment: Passed with 1st Class in 1st Attempt, May 2003.
- Fellow Of College Of Physicians & Surgeons Of Mumbai:
- Ophthalmology: GOLD MEDAL for standing 1st, Sept 2003.
- Fellow Of Royal College Of Surgeons Of Glasgow:
- Passed in 1st Attempt, Nov 2003.
- Diplomat Of National Board (DNB):
- Theory: Passed in 1st Attempt, Mar 2004.
- Practical (OCSE): Passed in 1st Attempt, May 2004.
- Experience of OPD procedures like Refraction dynamic and static withs treak and spot, Slit-lamp Biomicrosopy with various illuminations with: Direct and Indirect Techniques, Direct and Indirect Ophthalmoscopy, Gonioscopy, Automated Perimetry, Synaptophore, Orthoptic Evaluation,Fundus Fuorescein Angiography.
- Experience in assessment and treatment of Age related macular-degeneration with newer techniques anti-VEGF agents.
- Extensive experience in treating Diabetic retinopathy with the latest techniques including lasers, IVTA, anti-VEGF agents.
- Extensive experience in OCT evaluation.
- Extensive first hand experience of intraocular surgeries like Extra Capsularcataract Extraction, IOL Implantation, Small Incision Cataract Surgery,Phacoemulsification, Glaucoma Filtering Surgeries, Keratoplasty, Amnioticmembrane Grafting, Complicated Strabismus, Anterior and Posterior Segment Trauma.
- First hand experience in Oculoplasty, vitrectomy, Intra-ocular foreign body removal.
- Extensive experience in YAG and Argon laser procedures for retinal laser. Extensive experience of doing FFA.
- First hand experience of detachment surgeries, vitrectomy.
- Experience of doing Oculoplastic surgeries like Strabismus, Ptosis, Lidsurgeries, blepharoplasty. Assisted in numerous complicated detachments and vitrectomies at Sankara Nethralaya Chennai.
- First hand experience of LASIK.
- First hand experience in corneal cross linking.
- Extensive experience in Ophthalmic Ultra sound.
- Experience in diagnosis and management of Ocular Tumors.
- Experience in fitting Soft, Semi-soft, and RGP contact lenses.
- Post Graduate Teacher for CPS.
- Post Graduate Teacher for Ophthalmology.
- Head of Ophthal department in Bhabha Hospital.
- Under Graduate lectures.
- Under Graduate clinical teaching programme.
- Clinical training of post graduate residents at LTMGH and Saifee Hospital.
- Surgical training of post graduate residents at LTMGH and Saifee Hospital.
- Teaching of trainee nursing students in OT assisting and OPD.
- Teaching of trainee nursing students in OT assisting and OPD.
- Teaching of intern Optometrist.
- Under Graduate lectures for Unani students at M.J. Tibbia Unani Medical College.
- Poster- retinoblastoma at MOSCON 2000 Case report of TOLOSA HUNT SYNDROME in BOA journal Article on ENDOPHTHALMITIS in BOA journal.
- Bowen’s disease in Eye Advances Sept 2000
- Management of IOFB , Recent management of endop hthalmitis,Congenital ptosis in Eye advances 2000
- Fundus Picture in Glaucoma – International Glaucoma Conference 2001
- Case presentation on a case of primary over action of Inferior oblique 2004.
- Case presentation APERT syndrome.
- Case presentation in Takayasus disease.
- Journal presentation on Branch retinal vein occlusion with surgicalsh eathotomy.
- Paper in AIOS in Bhopal on RELENTLESS PLACOIDCHORIORETINITIS Case Presentation on CNVM treated with PDT in CME in ARMD.
- “Tuberculosis and the eye” in systemic diseases of the eye, BOA Symposium on systemic diseases DEC 2006.
- Eales disease and its management newer advances, BOA Symposium on systemic diseases DEC 2006.
- VRSI MEETING, COCHIN.
- VRSI MEETING, DEHLI.
- BOA FOCUS 2012.
- FOCUS 2011 BOA.
- AIOS, AHMEDBAD .
- AIOS, HYDERABAD.
- Presentation on Four haptic lenses in VR practice, AIOS 2013.
- Jashem Eye Institute Retina Clinic, 6 months as assistant to Dr P. A. Kamdar renowned vitreo-retinal surgeon.
- Sadhu Kamal Eye Clinic.
- Bait-ul-Maal Charitable Trust.
- Dr. Ashok Jhaveri’s Clinic.
- Vardhamaan Eye Clinic.
- Railway Hospital Byculla.
- Pikale nursing Home: Consulting ophthalmologist.
- Visiting Consultant Ophthalmologist at Medicare Hospital.
- Honrary Consultant Ophthalmologist at Millat Diagnostic and day care.
- New vision Laser centre for LASIK (Now Laserex).
- Honorary Consultant at Al-Hamd Trust’s hospital, Mhasla.
- Consultant at Saifee Hospital Mumbai.
- Vitreoretinal consultant at BSES Municipal general hospital and Global health research, Andheri-W.
- Honorary vitreoretinal consultant at Shifa Khana Saifee, Santacruz.
- Medical director Ashu eye care hospital.
- Visiting consultant for Kalsekar hospital at Versova.
- Visiting consultant and retina specialist in Umrao hospital.
Second Opinion Clinic
Kid’s Eye Problem
Retinopathy Of Prematurity
Advanced Surface Laser
Age Related Macular Degeneration
Care At Home
Fundus Fluorescein Angiography
Optical Coherence Tomography
Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty